By Auwal Magaji Abubakar CLN,MNIM.
CONCORD TIMES-It is a known fact that the Nigerian Institute of Leather and Science Technology, Samaru, Zaria was established in 1964 following the request of the then Northern Regional Government to Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resource.
It was name Hides and Skin Demonstration and Training Project. The Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) and United Nations were commissioned to Commence a feasibility study on the development of the abundant raw Hide and Skin in the country. In 1972, the UN submitted a technical report which among other things propose the upgrading of the Centre to a Research Institute that will carter for the Leather, Leather Product and Allied Field. The Land of the Institute was allocated by the Late Emir Of Zazzau Alhaji Muhammadu Aminu(May his soul rest in jannatil fiddausi).
Since establishment in 1964 there was no Zaria Indigine or Islamic Practitioner that headed institute as a Director General/CEO and we’ve tolerate that and it is part of the core north where Muslims are the majority, By the way even the staff employed by the Institute Christians have 70% while Muslims have 30% we’ve also tolerate them as that, they feel that is not enough they now begin to plush out the Muslims from the management team of the institute being the institute(Nilest) in Zaria, all these problems are happening Under the watch of Honourable Minister Of Science and Technology, We Understand that the reason why he is silent about the issue is that the Acting DG Dr. E. Ngozi Oparah is from Anambra State, Home State of the minister.
The list of the Management Team and their portfolios is as follows : 1. Dr. E. Ngozi Oparah – Acting DG
2. Mr. Y. Embu- Deputy DG and Director Polymer Technology(two portfolios).
3. Dr. Paul Bukar -Ag Director Science Technology
4. Engr. M. Odallalas Labi – Director works
5. Dr. Jerry Tagang – Ag Director footwear Technology
6. Dr. Solomon Tanko – Ag Director Research and Development
7. Mrs. Z D Palu- Director Academic Planning
8. Mal. Bashir B. Abdullahi – Director Finance and Account
9. Yunana Yohanna Midit – Registrar
10. Gabriel Oladija – procurement officer.
11. Yakubu Afuwai – Legal Officer
12. Mr. Egila Andrew – Policy & Analysis Officer
13. Mal. Munkaila Abdullahi – Coordinator Research extension centres(Before he was the Ag Director R&D, Ngozi Oparah replaced him with Christian Solomon Tanko)
14. Mr. Ferdinand Nwachucku – Establishment Officer
15. Stephen Odeh – College Librarian Note: Mal. Mustapha Bashir is a chief lecturer(GL 15) the most Senior and experienced staff that suppose to be the Director Leather Technology because of being him a Muslim Ngozi Oparah denied him the opportunity.
I am calling on the relevant authorities to take action before it cause serious crisis, enough is enough. CC: Chief of Staff to the President Senate President Speaker House of Representatives Chairman Senate Committee on Science and Technology Chairman House Committee on Science and Technology Kaduna State Governor Kaduna State Commissioner of Police Area Commander Director SSS NSCDC Commandant Zazzau Emirate Council Zazzau Emirate committee on Development ZEDA JNI JIBWIS Fityanul Islam